Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Compartmentalizing, Interrupted


After my last post, I have been thinking about following up with some other thoughts on compartmentalizing. As I am presently doing some charity work in Ethiopia, I haven't had much time to compose my thoughts. The night I arrived, I needed to turn my brain off so decided to go mindless and switched on the TV. Within minutes I was engrossed in re-watching Girl, Interrupted. (1999. Taken from book by Susanna Kayson, Directed by James Mangold.) There is this powerful scene between Ryder and Redgrave's characters that, while not dealing with this subject, I thought it was quite applicable.

Susanna: I'm ambivalent. In fact, that's my new favorite word.
Dr. Wick: Do you know what that means, ambivalence?
Susanna: I don't care.
Dr. Wick: If it's your favorite word, I would've thought you...
Susanna: It means, "I don't care." That's what it means.
Dr. Wick: On the contrary, Susanna. Ambivalence suggests strong feelings in opposition. The prefix, as in ambidextrous...means "both." The rest of it, in Latin, means "vigor." The word suggests that you are torn ... between two opposing courses of action.
Susanna: Will I stay or will I go?
Dr. Wick: Am I sane or am I crazy?
Susanna: Those aren't courses of action.
Dr. Wick: They can be, dear, for some.
Susanna: Well, then, it's the wrong word.
Dr. Wick: No. I think it's perfect. "What world is this? What kingdom? What shores of what worlds?" * It's a very big question you're faced with, Susanna. The choice of your life. How much will you indulge in your flaws? What are your flaws? Are they flaws? If you embrace them, will you commit yourself to hospital for life? Big questions, big decisions. Not surprising you profess carelessness about them. +

In one arena, I feel strongly about behaving according to these moral values. In another arena, I feel just as strongly about behaving according to opposing values: except when we compartmentalize, we aren't "torn." Being torn would at least mean our consciences were still active! Anyway--

Provoking questions

The choice of your life:
How much will you indulge in your flaws?
What are your flaws?
Are they flaws?
If you embrace them, will you commit yourself to hospital for life?
Big questions, big decisions.

* Hercules: Quis hic locus, quae regio, quae mundi plaga?
"What world is this? What kingdom? What shores of what worlds?"
--Seneca, Mad Hercules +

Copyright, Monte E Wilson, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment