Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Zigginess


Have you ever heard the saying, “The past does not equal the future”? The idea is that, whatever the past was, whatever your present reality is, it does not have to dictate what unfolds in the future. Like most bumper-sticker philosophies, there is a degree of truth here … but only enough to confuse you!
My past happened. I made choices and took paths that led to my present reality, and this I cannot change. In the past, I planted seeds that are, for good or ill, going to produce fruit: sometimes, for years to come, if not for the rest of my days. So, in this way, the past is going to dictate my future reality.  
It was what it was, so it now is what it is. (Should I patent this and put it on a bumper sticker?) I zigged when I should have zagged and the consequences are all this zigginess. And no, this is not where we cue Will Smith and start dancing. The zigginess I am referring to goes better with music by ... hmmm: Richard Wagner. 

I had these failures in that relationship

I chose a career path that was not wise

I chose to be a victim here and there, and, by doing so, allowed others to dictate my behaviors, personality traits and life-choices

I ignored my own legitimate needs and so am now spiritually and psychologically suffering

The good news is that today you can make different and wiser choices, and by doing so create a future filled with possibilities for joy and meaningfulness. In this way, the future does not have to equal the past. Yes, there will still be some zigginess here and there. This can serve to remind you of the consequences of poor choices or simply be seen and experienced as an aspect of the human condition. However, over time, your world will increasingly be filled with far more good fruit and far less zigginess.

Copyright, Monte E Wilson, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment