Tuesday, January 13, 2015

The Boomerang Effect


For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.  --Jesus

Bearing grudges is a lot easier than seeking to attain or maintain a healthy relationship. Holding on to a grudge allows me to excommunicate the offending individual from my presence—Until he pays the uttermost farthing!--thus keeping me far away from all the messiness and turmoil that comes with seeking to keep the laws of love toward some bozo. So, not only am I free from all of his aggravating and painful behavior, but I get to feel morally superior to him, as well. How cool is this?

On second thought, however, we do need to consider the boomerang effect.

Me to Bozo: I cast thee away from the sun of my righteousness!

God: What’d he do?

Me: O. Hey Lord. Good to see you. He broke my rules.

God: Your rules?

Me: Uh … right. He broke Your laws of love and must pay the consequences so he can learn not to do this anymore. Keepin’ it real, Lord.

God: So that’s how you want to play?

Me: Excuse me?

God: No, I don’t think I will. It’s that whole “in the way you judge others you shall be judged” and “do unto others” deal.

Me: Wait just a minute. This is different, isn’t it? God? God? Where’d You go?

Copyright, Monte E Wilson, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment